The Mid States Camp Conference, empowered by the American Camp Association, Mid America Field Offices/Affiliates is designed to be an inclusive, community educational opportunity, allowing camps to bring multiple staff at a reasonable cost, offering quality programs geared to all registrants in an easily accessible and environmentally appropriate location.
ORIGINAL OPERATING PRINCIPLES
- Mid States will strive to model the same type of friendliness and concern for inclusion that is emulated in our camps.
- Mid States will strive to build a sense of community at the conference using the general opening and closing sessions for that purpose.
- Quality and varied educational programs will include both theory and experiential sessions. Program sessions can be an open forum for controversial topics.
- An emphasis of the conference will be on staff and administration learning together.
- The motivation of Mid States will be "service to members, not profits". Cost of food, rooms and entertainment will be kept reasonable to allow staff to participate fully.
- Committee Chairs and all other Mid States volunteers will receive no special privileges or perks during, before or after the conference. Documented expenses incurred will be reimbursed by Mid States when the Mid States reimbursement form is submitted to the Book Keeper.
- Conference tasks and responsibilities will be shared by Field Offices/Affiliates of the Mid America Region as much as possible.
- Conference leaders will have the freedom to try new conference designs. There is no need to follow traditional conference styles.
- Mid States should influence the hotel to follow sound environmental practices and provide easy accessibility.